Thursday, January 6, 2011

Video Project Treatment

It didn't take me long to figure out exactly what I wanted to do for my video project. I was inspired from my post the day we watching the Mark Kimmel presentation. I blogged about children's toys and how they are influential for children's future gender roles.

When I started to research more, what I found was even more appalling.

I collected a series of children's television commercials, advertising the following: Barbie, toy vacuum, toy mower, baking set, and action figures. The messages were very much influenced by pre-conceived sexism beliefs. At one point, while advertising the vacuum, the little girl was exciting to "help mom clean around that house."

I am mainly going to use quotes and ideas from Kimmel's presentation, along with my opinion of gender bias toys. Along with commercials, I will use sections from toy's websites that have been sections off into "girl toys" and "boys toys".

Taking it one step further, I will use Kimmel's thoughts along with solid statistics on topics such on eating disorders, and violence rates to show a correlation between what the toys are influencing, and adult behavior.

The one thing I am really worried about is producing this into a movie. Although I am using a PowerPoint format, this process of making it into a film is very new to me, yet when I understand it further I know it will be very useful.

I have already created an outline for my project and plan to complete a rough video by this weekend. Over the next week I plan to perfect the video with special effects and quotes.

I feel that showing the world media content that is right under their nose will greatly benefit their understanding of sexism.

Please let me know if you have any comments or further ideas of how I can enhance my project!

1 comment:

  1. I think that's a perfect idea to bring childrens toys and advertisement tactics into your presentation. I never would have thought to look at the way toys are marketed and you raise a good point that it's not helping the situation involving sexism. I excited to see your final presentation of it all!

    ReplyDelete