Monday, January 17, 2011

transfeminism

To be honest, when the article “Trans Woman Manifesto” began talking about trans women and men, I was wondering whether a trans women was one that was born as a societal depicted male or female. This made me realize how naïve I am about the subject, and how much I needed to learn.
One thing that caught my eye, was when the article read, “each individual has the right to define her or his own identities and to expect society to respect them”. That one statement is something that can be applied to anyone. The truth is, its going to be a very long time before people’s minds can all be on the same level of understanding, but respect is another thing all together. Respect is something that should be given to anyone who deserves it, no matter how they see themselves.
It is hard to me to take that groups such as feminists, who fight so much for equality, have a difficult time accepting transgender people. The concept of transfeminism is great in a sense that it creates a space for transgender women, but at the same time it is sad for this space should not have to be created. People who fight for the freedom and equality of women, should fight for all women, not what they think of as a “normal” woman.

6 comments:

  1. I did an article response about women-only spaces. This includes restrooms, and things like feminists groups. In the article they said that if they let in transwomen,they would have to let in everyone who wanted to fight for feminism. While I think everyone who wants to fight for feminism should be included, I also understand only wanting women, not men, in the room. I believe that transwomen should be included in this though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to wonder why there are different grouos fighting for social injustice and why we can't just be an akk inclusive grouo for civil rights. It is interesti g that today is MLK day and that NH long acknowledged this day as Civil Rights day and took a lot of heat for that distinction but I actually think that is exactly what MLK would have wanted...a celebration of freedom from oppression for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (sorry for all the typos, I'm working from my iPad today and I obviously don't type as well as I think on this thing)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many cis feminists that embrace their trans sisters. There are also some who are very negative towards trans women. I think things are getting better but we have a long ways to go. I like the title of bell hooks book: Feminism is for Everybody--men, women, trans folks and intersex people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was a hard topic because it's not a very talked about one in our society i feel. i agree though that it comes back to respect and everyone deserves it no matter who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree this topic definitely needs more attention, and if people were more aware of what "Transgrender" was then maybe people would begin to openly accept them.
    I really liked how you talked a lot about respect. Respect is one of the most important rights this women need to be given.

    ReplyDelete