Thursday, January 20, 2011

Activism

In the article Johnson titled “What can we do?”, there was a particular quote that sums up my beliefs of the strongest about what makes a good activist. “As you become more aware, questions will arise about what goes on at work, in the media, in families, in communities, in religious institutions, in government, on the street, and at school—in short, just about everywhere.”

While many people attempt to convert people’s opinions and beliefs I do think that the greatest problem in society is awareness. I have been privileged to take this course and courses like this, that have opened my eyes up to other’s views and sides of stories I have not realized existed. Yet, most aren’t that privileged. I do feel as though we can’t force people to think a certain way, but a majority of the problem is not that people won’t change the way they think, it is that they aren’t aware of the negative effects of their thoughts and actions.

Confidence and acceptance are traits I look for in any leader. When people are brought up in a particular culture they are taught to understand everything a certain way. Despite the feeling that many of us get when speaking to key contributors to the “isms”, getting certain people to understand different views is an intricate and sensitive process. To open their eyes, a leader needs to make them feel reassured during the discomfort of acceptance, and show them how to accept others in a pace that is fitting for their social environment.

I particularly enjoyed Naomi Klein’s clip on when she become an activist. One thing that she said was that after a massacre of women took place, she was no longer able to not be a feminist “she could no longer be neutral.” The statement showed me that it was something in her that was powerful enough to be part of her, not just a choice she made that can be taken back at any given moment.

3 comments:

  1. You are totally right! I also feel that everywhere I see, there is something there that just does not feel right because I know that sometimes the media and society give us these isms disguised as jokes or just as part of the "norm".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like education probably our greatest tool in promoting awareness. A lot of people are privileged enough to take these courses, true...I think the biggest issue we have is fear because people are afraid to even talk about social justice.I too don't think awareness is going to solve the problem, but ya never know who you can reach so I think there is less to fear than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also feel privileged to be able to take this course and see all what is going around. Awareness about these isms and issues of civil rights is necessary. First step to bring a change is to look at the way they are affecting the sufferers and how they are seen in society.

    ReplyDelete