Thursday, January 20, 2011

Final Blog

I can greatly relate to Arminio’s article Waking up White. Arminio states, “It was [being white] part of my identity—an identity that was socially constructed in part, but my identity nonetheless.”

Growing up, like Arminio, I never actually realized I was white. I mean I knew I was white, but I didn’t realize the identity that came along with my white supremacy. I grew up in Derry, NH and I can’t say that I remember growing up with any other ethnicities. Therefore, I tended to go along with many predetermined stereotypes; ideas that I saw on TV and heard from others.

As I started to take more classes that touched upon difference in society, I realized that I first needed to change my own views to become another member of society. I realized the least I can do would be one less negative member of my culture, and, instead, a positive one. What I would like to achieve is to be not only a positive member but I positive voice. This is something that will not only be a big job for anyone, but a major challenge for me. I have a big voice but a difficult time trying to persuade people. I think a good start is to stay strong with your own voice and soon people will see the positive affect it has on others and want to follow.

Even though I am only one person, it takes one person at a time to make a difference.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you, it does take one person at time. It's kind of like painting in that one cannot skip a stroke because it will be visible when it dries. Its a slow process, but its necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you and I love that last line you used. It definitely takes one person at a time to make a difference and if there are more people that realize that we may be able to help the situation. I also grew up in a fairly small town, Deerfield, NH. Everyone in my town was white so I was not interacting with different ethnicities as well. I am also someone that can potentially have a strong voice and hope that what I've learned from this class I'll be able to use it with power. I enjoyed reading what you got out of this class :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. coincidentally i am also from Derry so I know what you mean from growing up without many ethnicities around. knowing always that I am white but realizing what that meant has been a true eye opener in this course. i feel like its time for me to take responsibility and like you said even though we are only one person, it takes one person at a time to make a difference

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your last sentence. I realize I probably cannot be an activist in the sense of getting up and trying to mobilize a great number of people but I am going to work on myself and hopefully that will rub off on family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way. When I was young, everyone looked like me. The biggest differences we had was hair color and eye color! But then as I grew I learned about the slave trade and finally saw how different the world really is and how they are so oppressed and I was so privileged.

    ReplyDelete