Thursday, January 13, 2011

Maybe she's born with it?

This isn’t the first time I have watched each of the films, nor that first time I have been frustrated with this topic. It is challenging for it seems like something that we need every single person in on to control, yet considering most of ignorant of the effects of capitalism and sexism, this may never be solved. In consumer capitalism, products are marketed to enhance particular characteristics and features that have become a symbol of meaning in our society. Killing Us Softly and  Tough Guise sucessful portray how men and women are expected to look in society through marketing.

My video project takes on a lot of this concept, yet I will only briefly touch upon that. The use of toys in advertising suggests that certain toys are meant for girls and boys.

One adult advertisement that has always struck me was Maybelline. Its slogan reads, “maybe she’s born with it, or maybe its Maybelline”. Its catchy, yet I have always found it humorous. It is suggesting that the woman could be naturally attractive or else she is wearing a good cover up (I meant that in both senses of the word.)

This marketing shows that women need to look a certain way to be appealing, and this is often by changing their natural appearance. The beauty industry takes in about 1 million dollars in profit yearly.

Many sportswear commercials show both males and females playing sports and using the same product. I feel that this is one of the cloesest examples I can get to a gender equality advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment